Sunday, June 12, 2005

of Weddings and Meat

Well, as you can see I haven´t been updating very frequently. The last time I managed to drag myself across the street of my grandma´s apartment to check my spam I convinced Mark to post for us. I am in complete vacation mode. I know at some point I´ll have to return to my previous life with the keeping in touch with world events, and the being responsible and laborious, but for now that moment does not exist. Mark and I have created a very nice routine for ourselves. We get up around 11am, if we are feeling restless sometimes we forgo my grandmas coffee and medíalunas for coffee and medialunas outside of the apartment at a cafe, then we walk around the city center, then we have lunch, then we do touristy stuff, then we chill drinking mate and having tea, then we walk around some more, then we have dinner around 10, then we might go out with my cousins to a bar to catch some live music. Not bad, eh?
Well in bigger news,
Se caso el Juani!
My cousin Juan Pablo got married last Friday to Laura, his girlfriend of 8 years and the mother of the new addition to the family, the future Julieta or Santiago who is currently six months prepartum.
So you know how argentines like to party hard and late, right? Well the reception started at 9 and ended at 4:30 am, just after my grandma danced a tango with my uncle Tola. There was tons of food and drinks and tossing of my cousin up in the air, it was excellent. I danced liked I haven´t danced in my life.
And today we had the world-famous ASADO!! Vegetarians should stop reading at this point because their sensibilities WILL be offended. My family got together with the family of Laura to share in a small cow. Basically you eat everything, steaks of course but also, chorizo, sausage, tripe (small and large intestines), kidneys, mollejas (salivary glands), morcilla (blood sausage). All of course seasoned with chimichurri. Delish! Don´t knock it til you try it because down here they really know how to cook meat. And that´s coming from me, who is at best an occasional steak burrito, tri-tip eater at home. Generally not very enthusiastic but here I can´t help but have more beef than I would normally eat in a year.

I´ll really try to post pictures soon,
un abrazo

No comments: